Okay, let’s get this out of the way: It’s April Fool’s Day. Let’s all go out and NOT play a trick on someone, because that got old in grade school.
Instead, let me explain why April 1st really matters. That’s because there are only two more days till my birthday.
I never figured I’d be sensitive about my age, but this is a big one. Let’s put it this way: I’m going to turn 40, for the 20th time.
Ouch ouch ouch.
Now let’s look at all the reasons why that’s good:
· My older son has a job (he earns more than I do) and my younger son is in college, so my husband and I have more time together, and I have more time to write.
· I’ve been happily married for 30 years, which means I can thumb my nose at all the people who say you can’t marry someone of a different religion.
· I still have my mother and mothers-in-law (my husband’s mother and stepmother) to cheer me on when times get rough.
· Still healthy (knock on wood, take fish oil, exercise, etc. etc.)
· Just got a new three-book contract with Harlequin American. Hooray hooray!
The books center on a remodeled maternity hospital that accidentally gets a reputation as a safe haven for babies whose mothers can’t keep them. Soon babies are turning up everywhere, and the staff is asked to take some of them home. Babies … doctors … falling in love … No publication dates set yet, but I’m hoping for 2010.
Now I’m going to go enjoy April in my vegetable garden, watching the baby plants grow.