Monday, March 03, 2008

Home Again

I met a woman at a party the other night who asked me where I was from. It’s kind of an inevitable question for my neighborhood. Cincinnati is home to Procter and Gamble, GE, and Kroger. Our sleepy town is filled with transferees from other places. I told her I was from Texas.

As we talked further, things got a little confusing. I had to clarify my answer. No, I didn’t just move from Dallas…we lived in Colorado before we moved here. And, well, that move wasn’t recent, either. We, uh, have lived in our current home for (gulp) nine years.

Suddenly, I had to face the truth. I have become an Ohioan. There’s nothing wrong with that. We’ve loved living here…but still in the back of my mind, in my heart, I drift back to where I spent the first 17 years of my life. Anyone else ever done that?

My son has! He spent his first years in Colorado. That’s where he wants to go! In fact, all his college choices revolve around Boulder and Fort Collins and Denver. My husband and I are thinking that is very far away.

I guess I’m thinking about Texas more because I just finished revisions for a Harlequin American that will be out sometime in 09. It’s set in a small town in north Texas, and boy did I love being back there….at least in my imagination and memories! In it, my hero Matt Madigan returns to his roots and attempts to settle in, but comes to find out that both he- and the town he’s living in-have changed. In fact, the only constant is a certain brown-eyed gal named Minnie who still has a crush on him.

Maybe like my hero, I’ve changed a bit, too. Lately I’ve been doing what so many native Ohioans do…anxiously await signs of spring! Today’s a good day for that. Snow has melted, the weather is warmer, and I spied a rabbit in our backyard this morning. Though that might all change tomorrow, today looks like a good day.

So, has anyone else moved around some? If so, where do you call home? Where you are now…or where you grew up?

By the way...Ann DeFee…hope your house hunt is going well!

Shelley

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a native Baltimorean, but lived in Indiana, Greece, England, and finally, I've lived in New Jersey longer than anywhere. Hadn't really thought of it that way until I read your post! Look forward to visiting Texas vicariously :o)

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ciar,

You've lived all kinds of interesting places. My sister married a Greek and lives in Athens. She's got an interesting Texas-Greek accent. Hope you are getting a little bit of sunshine in New Jersey today.

Shelley

Estella said...

I still live in the same state I was born in. Just a little over a hundred miles SE of the town where I was born.

Shawna Avery said...

Even though I, too, have become an Ohioan, I still consider Massachusetts home, even though I only lived there 12 years!

It's funny where our hearts decide to set down permanent roots.

Marianne Arkins said...

I was born and raised in California, and have since moved all over the country--most recently Colorado and New Hampshire. We've been in NH for almost ten years, and it's not home. It will never be home. Fact is this: I am a Californian, and always will be. That's where I'm "from". NH is just where I stay. For now.