Friday, December 14, 2007

Bah Humbug!!!!


Hmm . . . Where to start? This has been the worst week I've had in a looooong time.

(As we can't find the camera, I snatched this pic off the web. It was taken by Dayzella, and is representative of how things look around town as far as downed limbs. Only many are bigger, and on top of houses! I've never seen anything like this. It's like a tornado hit the whole town.)
That said, there are thousands in Tulsa faring way worse than me. Sunday night, we had a massive ice storm blow through that wiped out power and phones to over five hundred thousand folks. It's being called the worst power outage in OK history. Our house is cold enough to see your breath. Lucky for us, Wednesday, we hit the lottery by finding an open hotel room. By day, we keep our gas fireplace going for the pets to stay sort-of warm. Most every tree in town has been shredded by the ice. In some neighborhoods, there are so many downed limbs, you can't even drive through. Schools have been out for the entire week.

Seeing how I have a book due tomorrow, all of this free time should've been a major blessing, but with no power, it's been rough. I've written with my laptop plugged in at coffee houses, in the car, and even at the Olive Garden!

Last night, I called in our outage to PSO, and was told that our power should be on within minutes. We rushed over, planning to party, only to find more cold, darkness. Ugh. As of this morning, it's still not on.

Meanwhile, we just heard via text message that Daughter has cheer practice. Cheer practice??!! Um, I was talking with some other cheer moms, and we all decided our minds are a bit preoccupied about now.

The sad thing is that while our situation has been stressful as far as spending $$ for a hotel and eating out every meal, I can't fathom how folks who can't afford what we see as necessities are coping. Please, keep them in your prayers for power to come on soon, although PSO is now saying it may be next Wednesday before full power is restored.


7 comments:

Trish Milburn said...

Oh, man, ice storms are the worst. I hope you get your power back soon.

Estella said...

Hope you are able to return home soon(with power).

Michele Dunaway said...

Laura,

Hugs! I hope everything gets better soon. A lot of the ice hit St. Louis but went west and north, more Warren and Lincoln counties. Right now we're expecting snow.

Is this something you can claim on homeowners? But didn't you just have another claim? Or is my brain fried?

Gosh, I hope 2008 is better for you!

Michele

Marin Thomas said...

Laura

I wondered how you'd weathered the ice storm. You guys sure got clobbered. I'll keep everyone out your way in my thoughts and prayers.

Hang tough, girl!
Marin
www.marinthomas.com

Nathalie said...

Power shortage is always horrible... hope it won't happen during the holidays!

Linda Warren said...

Laurie,
I saw the ice storms on the news. I hope your life and everyone else's is back to normal soon. Hugs and prayers for everyone. Hang in there and good luck with finishing your book.

Lily said...

We are having a lot of snow here, but we still have power!!