Monday, September 10, 2007

Working vacation

As I'm writing this, my new book is about halfway done and my deadline approaches like a speeding train. Unfortunately for the fate of the book (but lucky for me), I'm leaving for Hawaii in a few days. The trip has been scheduled for a lot longer than the book, which I just sold a couple of weeks ago. I kinda-sorta forgot about this trip when I agreed to the deadline.

The solution, of course, is that I'll have to write while on vacation. This isn't as hard as it sounds. I have a teeny, tiny computer that fits in my purse, and I can whip it out anywhere and use it. I'll have hours to kill in airports and on airplanes. My husband will be in meetings all day, so he won't be expecting much from me. So for at least two hours every day I'll sit out on the lanai with a frozen drink at my elbow (okay, probably coffee) and write. I only have to write 50 pages during the trip to stay on track.

Actually, it sounds like heaven, not a compromise at all. But I'm definitely going to do two things I didn't do last time I was in Hawaii, and no computers allowed: Swim with the dolphins, and see the lava flow. (Maybe my next heroine will be a dolphin researcher? My next hero a volcanologist?) I'm also researching deep-sea fishing, since my current book is about a fishing charter business, though it's set on the Texas coast, not Hawaii.

Meanwhile, my new book is out--today is the official release date for ONE STUBBORN TEXAN, so it's a fitting day for me to blog.

Be sure and leave a comment (any day this month) to be included in the monthly drawing for free books!

8 comments:

Heather MacAllister said...

You KINDA-SORTA forgot about a trip to Hawaii?!?

I would like to have such a trip to forget about.

I did swim with dolphins last year. Mostly I tried to keep my face mask from filling with water. They were laughing at me, I just know it.

Christa said...

That's what I want to know. how can you kinda-sorta forget about a trip to Hawaii?

Kara Let us image you sitting and writing on the lanai with a fruity frozen drink with an umbrella

Estella said...

Woo-Hoo--- Hawaii!

catslady said...

Oh sounds wonderful. I got to go there 37 years ago when my husband was on R&R from Vietnam - I would love for us to go back and swim with the dolphins. Have a wonderful trip.

Kara Lennox said...

Christa and Heather--
Well, I didn't exactly forget it. I just ... overlooked it. I hope that I have no facemask problems! I watched people doing it last time I was there (couple of years ago) and swore that if I ever came back I would fork over the dough and just do it.

Estella, thanks for the cheer!

Catslady--good to see your shining face here. Maybe you'll get back there some day. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Have a great time!

Unknown said...

I enjoy your blogs.

Anonymous said...

I've never been to Hawaii but my niece and her family spent several years there (husband is in the army) and the pictures they send are beautiful. Enjoy your research.