Saturday, August 04, 2007

We're all out of time, folks!

One of the headlines in today's paper announced that the 2008 model cars are in dealers' showrooms now. Used to be, these ads appeared in late Fall. But it's only August! And August 4th, to be exact! By the time 2008 rolls around, these same cars will practically be antiques.

(Or more likely in today's disposable society, they won't even be in as good shape as some of the genuine classic cars on the roads. But that's a blog topic for another day....)

Vaguely, as a kid, I remember being surprised when Christmas candy showed up in the stores before Thanksgiving. Naturally, I didn't complain about it! (smile) But it did have me worried....


After getting through the ABCs, cursive writing, and the number system, I aced the test on the days of the week and the months of the year. Seeing that candy in the stores made me afraid that maybe my teacher had gotten my A+ paper mixed up with someone else's.

The other thing that happened, again naturally, was that those sweets got me started thinking about what Santa would bring me for Christmas. And you know that's just what all those merchants wanted!

Holiday gifts and decorations crept up in line to gain a place before Halloween. Then before Columbus Day. I'm waiting for the stuff to show up on Labor Day!

It's the same with all the other holiday items, summer clothes, winter clothes, back-to-school supplies--the list goes on and on.

I can understand the value of getting people to plan ahead....

But there ought to be a time limit on it, don't you think?


All my best to you,

Barbara

~~~~~~

Barbara White Daille
http://www.barbarawhitedaille.com

3 comments:

Estella said...

You have to buy a swim suit in early spring---come summer there is nary one to be found.

Anonymous said...

I agree completely! Christmas items hit the shelves in September (or earlier, swimsuits and shorts are sold out by May, you can't find a sweatsuit or jacket after October....it's all the same!

Barbara White Daille said...

Estella and abamabecky:

You two are **so** right!

Pretty soon, I think we'll be having to buy everything a year ahead just so we can have the right things at the proper seasons!

Barbara
http://www.barbarawhitedaille.com