Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Spring Cleaning

I have three sets of visitors coming to stay for a few days this summer--end of May, *sometime* in June and the week of July 4th, which includes a big family reunion at my home. When do I do my spring cleaning and still have the house in good shape by July?

Spring cleaning in my house includes…cleaning the carpets (I have my own carpet machine and do the rugs in my house) cleaning the blinds (damp cloth and wipe every slat), washing windows, curtains, flipping bed mattresses, wiping baseboards, cleaning the bathroom vents and washing shower curtains, spraying dried flowers arrangements, dusting all those goofy roosters I collect, washing doors, cleaning the garage out, getting on a ladder and dusting the lights and ceiling fans) then of course all the normal stuff like vacuuming and dusting.

I'm tempted to hire a maid service to come in and do the whole house in one day, but I hate spending money on something I can do myself. I'd rather use the money I save to buy flowers for the yard. If anyone has any shortcuts, tips or suggestions on spring cleaning, I'd love to hear them.

Happy Reading!
Marin
www.marinthomas.com
Summer Lovin' The Preacher's Daughter June 07

7 comments:

Cheryl St.John said...

Your post showed up in my google alert. I have a Harlequin Historical release called The Preacher's Daughter in June. Of course I will have to pick up yours!

Christa said...

I don't know if I have any advice regarding Spring Cleaning. I kind of keep it up most of the year so that everything doesn't have to be done at once.

BTW really like The Preacher's Daughter.

Marin Thomas said...

Cheryl, I suspect the title The Preacher's Daughter has been used a million times over, lol. Best of luck on your sales, I cut my teeth on historicals and still love them to this day!

Christa, I envy your ability to keep your house up all through the year. I'm afraid my writing deadlines force me to let the house go for days/weeks at a time. There are some weeks when all I can manage is to keep up with laundry and the dishes and make sure there are groceries in the fridge.

Glad you enjoyed The Preacher's Daughter. That was my first attempt at a novella.

Marin
www.marinthomas.com

Christa said...

I have a one bedroom apt. so anything that I neglegate stands out. It gets to a point where I have to do something about it. Like the balcony door is a big focal point so when those windows were dirty I had to do something because they were very noticable.

Marin Thomas said...

Christa

When my husband and I were first married we had a one-bedroom apartment and I still struggled to keep things organized because we never had enough room for all our junk. Our furniture consisted of my husband's old plastic milk crates from his dorm room--we used those for bedside tables :-) And remember bean-bag chairs...we had a couple of those too!

Marin
www.marinthomas.com

bettye griffin said...

Some years ago, Real Simple magazine ran a multi-page article on Speed Cleaning. It is in storage in Florida with the rest of our things while we are in the difficult Phase Two of relocation, but maybe they still have it up on their website.

Good luck!

Bettye Griffin
www.bettyegriffin.com
www.chew-the-fat-with-Bettye.blogspot.com

Marin Thomas said...

Bettye

Checked out Real Simple on the web and found some great articles! Thanks for the tip. I had to laugh, one article said to use both hands/arms when cleaning...I always use just one hand. Will have to give this new method a test drive.

Marin
www.marinthomas.com