Saturday, May 05, 2007

I Need Help!

I am terrible thinking up titles for my books! My editor wants me to come up with something for the second novel set on the fictitious Halo Island, and I’m hoping you’ll help.

In a nutshell, here are the particulars:

The hero, D.J. Hatcher owns Island Air, a seaplane company that flies tourists from Seattle to Halo Island and back. The flight takes about one hour. (The company is modeled on a real-life seaplane company in Bothell, Washington, near where I live.) Island Air is suffering financial problems, and D.J. may be forced to sell—something he does not want to do.

The heroine, Liza Miller, teaches second grade, but not on the island. She grew up there, and has come back to help her grandmother move from her home of fifty-four years into an apartment in a retirement complex. The move is for the best—a smaller place with a dining room and medical care is just what her grandmother needs. But leaving one’s home is never easy. An added burden is that Liza has been let go and must find another teaching job.

Both D.J. and Liza have had painful pasts. Four years before the story opens, D.J.’s wife ran off with his business partner. The following year, Liza’s fiancĂ©e left her at the altar for one of the guests. Imagine!

I won’t go into the details (you can read the story when it comes out sometime in 2008), but as you might have guessed, Liza and D.J. fall in love.

My editor would love to use the word “pilot” in the title. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I’m counting on you, and will report back on my next blog date, May 19, with the title my editor chooses.

Ann Roth
Summer Lovin’ Anthology: A Reunion Story, June 2007
Mitch Takes A Wife, August, 2007
www.annroth.net

11 comments:

Christa said...

Pilot Teachings
Lessons for the Teacher and Pilot

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the suggestios, Crista! I'll add them to the list I'm going to send Kathleen.

Pat White said...

Sounds like a great story, Ann! How about...
The Teacher's Pilot
The Teacher and the Pilot
Loving a Pilot
Pilot Maneuvers
About a Pilot

I'll keep thinking!

Pat

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Pat. Great suggestions!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann, here are a bunch! Some are better than others...

Storm Pilot
Love's Pilot
The Halo Pilot
Piloting Liza
The Last Chance Pilot
Teaching the Pilot

bettye griffin said...

Piloting the Heart?

Bettye Griffin
www.bettyegriffin.com
www.chew-the-fat-with-Bettye.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Julie and Bettye- Thanks for some terrific ideas. I'm passing every one of them to Kathleen.

You all are wonderful. :-)

Anonymous said...

WHEN HEARTS TAKE FLIGHT

SECOND CHANCE ISLAND

FINDING LOVE ON HALO ISLAND

HER SUMMER PILOT

LOVE IS IN THE AIR

Misty said...

Wow! Everyone has such great suggestions. I really like Love is in the Air :)

Love Takes Flight
The Pilot's Lesson
Liza's Pilot
The Pilot's Wish

I was trying to think of something that would play off the other title All I Want for Christmas since it's a series, but nothing sounds right. Good luck and I hope Kathleen likes one of them.

Anonymous said...

Lindsey-
Thanks for some terrific suggestions. I appreciate your input!

Anonymous said...

Misty- Your ideas are good, too. I agree, it'd be great to tie the two books together by title. But it's not happening here. Sigh. There are other books slated, too....

Anyway, I'm about to send your suggestions to Kathleen. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks so much, everyone.