Thursday, April 12, 2007

Oh the places you'll go

One of the fun things about being an author is attending writing conferences. At the end of March I took the opportunity to attend the Published Author Special Interest Chapter's Power Conference. I flew into Newark, took a car to Manhattan, and Thursday night began with the industry reception where published authors mingled with editors and agents. By the time I left on Sunday morning, I was tired and exhausted, but yet at the same time reenergized.

Writing is a solitary business. It's you and your computer, and a bunch of names you know via email. It's fun to meet everyone and connect with everyone.

The picture above is of me and Lisa Childs (I'm on the right). Lisa will have a four book series out in 2008 with Harlequin American and I should have two releases as well. I'll also have two releases out with Harlequin Special Releases: Stories set in the World of NASCAR. Lisa and I are at the M&M store in Times Square, posing with a "writer." We'd met two years ago at PASIC, and decided to room together this year. We'll also be presenting a workshop on revisions at RWA in Dallas this summer. It's a subject we both know a lot about. :)

BTW, Ann DeFee, Tanya Michaels and Ann Roth also attended and I'm sure they've got some great stories to tell as well! Lisa and I also took a great trip to Mars 2112, which is another story. All in all, conferences are a great way to recharge the batteries and they reconfirm that a writer is never alone. So now I'm off to go write those books.

Happy writing,

Michele






3 comments:

Marla Monroe said...

I have to agree! I love going because I not only meet new friends, but I learn so much about the publishing industry and the changes constantly going on in it.

Will you be at RT or RWA Nationals in Texas this year? Hope to meet you.

Anonymous said...

Michele, it was great to meet you! I do indeed have a few stories about my trip to NY and posted them over at my tanya michaels blog. This was my first ever trip to NYC, so though it was pricey, it was well worth it! See a musical on Broadway is something that's been on my life "to-do" list for years, and now I've seen TWO. As the workshop chair for RWA this year, I don't think I'll have as much time to "play" between doing business, so the PASIC conference was as much as a vacation as work for me!

Michele Dunaway said...

I will be in Dallas this year, presenting a workshop on Saturday afternoon. BTW, that Saturday (14th) is my birthday.