Monday, December 11, 2006

Entering the Harlequin American contest?

A reader asked for tips for writers entering Harlequin’s Great American Romance Contest (see Michele Dunaway’s blog below. At her request, I’d like to add a few things about writing a novel suitable for this imprint.

The Harlequin American line is currently emphasizing realistic stories set in real towns. While the tone can range from humorous to highly emotional, that means the editors don’t want to see fairy-tale themes (foreign princes, sheiks) or paranormal elements, although these may have been acceptable in the past.

They do like stories with appealing secondary characters, although these shouldn’t overshadow the romance. As you know if you’ve read my Downhome Doctors series, I weave in storylines that strengthen and develop the main conflict between the hero and heroine. So rather than isolating them, as you might in an Intrigue, you’re showing them in a setting that involves children, other family members and/or friends.

Sometimes supporting characters end up becoming the heroes or heroines of their own books later on. I wouldn’t worry too much about that with your first book, though.

Popular plot devices such as babies, pregnancies and marriages/engagements of convenience still work but you have to give them a fresh twist. For example, in my February ’07 release, The Doctor’s Little Secret, the hero gets a chance to reclaim the little girl he once agreed to give up for adoption but needs a pretend fiancée. The twist comes in the woman he nominates for the role: the no-nonsense policewoman who nearly arrested him by mistake. Of course, I had to find a way to make the situation believable!

Good luck to all of you who enter. One of these days I hope you'll be joining our ranks and blogging here, too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jacqueline,

Do you think a story that is set on the west coast, in an upscale neighborhood of Silicon Valley is right for the contest? If there is an alpha male hero and the hearth and family aspects are there? When I see the covers of the books, there are cowboys and farm houses and I'm not sure settings outside of the midwest (rual or big city) would appeal to the readers of the American Romance line...

What do you think?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I asked you guys for words of advice for the contest! This is the most comprehensive answer I have ever received. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Even if the book I sent doesn't fit the bill, I know which direction to go for the next one. You all rock!

Jacqueline Diamond said...

To answer the first question, I've set many of my Americans in California, which is where I live, so I hope that's acceptable! The alpha hero could be more problematic, but it never hurts to try!

Thanks for the kind words. We all enjoy helping aspiring writers because they give us so much support in return.